#12 - Soft Striped Tiles
What you need:
I used Paint Shop Pro 7.04, but you should be able to create this in any version.
We'll be making a striped tile to use as a fill or background tile. The image above shows it used as the background behind the mouse image.
1. Open a new image 16 x 7 using your preference for a light background color.
2. It will be very tiny, so zoom in on it at least 4 times.
3. Choose a foreground color of a darker shade than the color you used for your background. Make the background null.
Select the draw tool with these settings:
5. Draw a stripe at 0,0 [you can see these numbers at the bottom left screen], then 4,0, then 8,0, and the last stripe at 12,0.
Here's My Tile
Left is actual size of 16 pixels by 7 pixels - I put a black border around it so you can see it. Ha!
Right image is enlarged 4 times with the zoom tool in PSP
6. Export as a JPG. If you want your stripes to be horizontal, rotate the image 90 degrees an export again.
Besides using the tile as a fill pattern, use it for your background tile on Web pages. Here's some samples - each opens in a new window, close it to return here:
Tip: If you use a tile often for a fill pattern,
save it as a BMP to your Patterns folder under Paint Shop Pro.
Copyright © 2003 Joyce Kohl
All rights reserved